The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of the library's collections through the Library Catalogue, or get more information on each type of information resource and how it might be useful to your studies below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Learn more about the Library as a physical place, find top tips and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ), find out about the study spaces and services available in the Main, Medical and Nursing & Midwifery Libraries, and if you are not a student or staff member of NUI Galway, you can find out here how to access the Library.
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources. We have staff with expertise on information resources in your subject area.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
Placing a hold on a book
If the book you need is on loan to someone else, you can place a hold on it, so that when it next becomes available you will be notified and it will be kept for you in the Hold Request Collection Room behind the Library & IT Service Desk.
If the book you want is in high demand, you may be placed in a queue, but at least you know you will get access to the book once its your turn.
To place a hold on a book
- Log in to your library account by clicking Sign In for Full Access on the library website http://library.nuigalway.ie
- Search for the book you need in the Library catalogue.
You will see from the results that the book is checked out to another user.
- Click on 'Request'.
- You can specify the date on which you want the hold to end by choosing a date in the 'Last interest date' field
- Click on 'Hold' to place your request.
- When the book is returned to the library you will receive a text message and email to let you know.
- Note: your hold will expire after a certain number of days depending on the loan term for the item (this date is on the email you receive)
- You should then collect the book as soon as possible in the Hold Request Collection Room behind the Library & IT Service Desk.
- If you no longer need a book you've requested, you can easily cancel the hold by logging into My Account in the Library Catalogue and clicking on 'Cancel' under Actions
- NOTE: If a copy of the item is on the shelf, you will not be allowed to place a hold. Please contact the Library & IT Service Desk for assistance if you cannot find a book that should be on the shelf.