The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of our collections through the Library Catalogue, or learn more about different types of information resources below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Find out about what Library services you can avail of, take our 360 degree Library tour and navigate your way around the Library. Each section includes a description of services available and allows you to become familiar with the Library before you visit us.
- We Can Help
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
- Open Scholarship
The Library supports the practice of research, education and knowledge exchange to enable open collaboration and learning.
Archives & Special Collections Reading Room
Reader spaces in the Archives & Special Collections Reading Room must be booked in advance. You can do this by emailing: email@example.com with details of the material you wish to consult. Information on consulting material is available below.
This service enables readers to place requests to access Special Collections items and Archival material in the Reading Room.
What material is available for consultation?
- Special Collection printed materials such as books/journals/maps/newspapers.
- Print Archival collections.
- Digitised archives.
Who can avail of this service?
All registered students and staff of NUI Galway and bona fide external researchers wishing to consult materials not available to them elsewhere.
When can I consult material?
Check the Archives Reading Room hours on the Opening Hours page.
How will I know my items are available?
Staff will confirm by email.
How do I access?
Access is via the Hardiman Building foyer. Go the right and take the corridor to the right of the lift. The reading room is at the end.
What should I do in advance?
- NUI Galway readers may request books 24 hours in advance using the Library Catalogue at http://library.nuigalway.ie. Please login using your NUI, Galway login details first so that the request facility will be available to you when you locate your chosen material on the catalogue. The login tab is on the top right of the page. Non-NUI, Galway readers may request Special Collections books by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To consult archival collections, please first check our Archives Catalogue at http://archivesearch.library.nuigalway.ie to identify collections.
- If you require guidance on collection elements, please email archivists, who will advise by email on return. Contact details are on the Archives Libguide.
- Material can be requested by emailing email@example.com at least 24 hours in advance, and noting the identification details of the collection as well as specific item numbers for the material you would like to view.
Do I need ID to access Reading Room?
NUI Galway Readers: You must bring your NUI Galway student or staff ID CARD with you.
Non-NUI Galway Readers: You should bring some form of Photo ID.
No walk-in access will be permitted.
Using the room?
You will need to sign in and place bags, coats, etc. in one of the lockers provided. If consulting digital or sound archives, you will need to bring your own headphones as none will be provided. Requests for retrieval of additional material can be made to the staff on duty but please understand that it may NOT always be possible to retrieve this material on the same day.
The Archives & Special Collections Reading Room is located on the Ground Floor of the Hardiman Building. It is set aside for the consultation of materials from our Special Collections, including rare and antiquarian books, maps and older newspapers as well as items from any of the Archives.
Due to the specialist and rare nature of the materials in use here, special Conditions of Access are in place for visitors to this room.
Facilities in the Archives & Special Collections Reading Room include study spaces for consulting material, using WiFi and photocopying. A sound booth is available to anyone who wishes to consult archival and special collections material that has a sound component. For further information on using the sound booth, please contact the staff of the Archives & Special Collections Reading Room at firstname.lastname@example.org
Lockers are provided for readers to store property while working on Special Collections or Archives material.