The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of our collections through the Library Catalogue, or learn more about different types of information resources below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Find out about what Library services you can avail of, take our 360 Library tour and navigate your way around the Library. Each section includes a description of services available and allows you to become familiar with the Library before you visit us.
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
- Open Scholarship
The Library supports the practice of research, education and knowledge exchange to enable open collaboration and learning.
Click & Collect
This service enables registered staff and students of NUI Galway to place online requests for print books, journals and other material located in the James Hardiman Library and Shannon College Library via the Library Catalogue.
What material is available for selection?
Only loanable books are available for borrowing. Non-loanable material such as Theses, Print Journals, maps, etc. can be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and will be available for use in the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room.
Who can avail of this service?
All registered students and staff of NUI Galway and external members with borrowing rights.
When can I pick up books?
Material requested is usually available by lunchtime of the day after you place the request. However, delays can occur. It is strongly recommended that you do not travel to the library, unless you have received an email confirming that your request is available.
Please note that material requested must be collected within 4 working days of notification that the material is available for you. After that time, the material will be returned to the shelves and made available to other users.
Main and Medical Library:
Books can be collected Monday - Friday between 9:00 - 17:00.
The collection point is at the Library & IT Service Desk in the foyer of the James Hardiman Library. Note that this is the collection point for Medical Library books also.
Shannon College Library:
Shannon College Library books will be available for collection Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 12:30 - 14:00 from the Library Office.
Non-loanable material such as print journals or theses will be available for use within the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room. You will be provided with an appointed time slot to visit the Reading Room and use material requested.
Where do I pick up my reserved books?
Books from the colletions of the Main Library and Medical Library will be available for collection at the Library and IT Service Desk, in the foyer of the James Hardiman Library.
Shannon College Library books will be available for collection from the Library Office in the main College Building.
If you have requested non-loanable material, you will be given an appointment to use the material in the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room.
Do I need my ID to collect my requests?
Yes, you must bring your NUI Galway student or staff ID card with you.
Can someone else pick up my requests?
Yes, you can nominate someone else to collect your books. To facilitate this, you must email email@example.com in advance with the name of your nominee. Nominees must present their own ID at the time of collection.
Can I request Journals?
Yes, print journals may be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, however journals and other non-loanable material may not be borrowed. They must be accessed in the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room. You will be given a specific time to access the material.
How can I return material to the Library?
During the COVID-19 pandemic library material should be returned to the 'Book Return' box just outside the Library entrance. Material is removed from this box daily and put into quarantine for three days. Only after they have been quarantined will the books be removed from your account. No fines will accrue during those three days.
At Shannon College Library books can be returned to the box outside Ms. Imelda O’Connell’s office in the atrium.
What if I no longer need the material requested?
We would be very grateful if requests that are no longer needed could be cancelled. You can do this by clicking on My Requests on the Library Catalogue. If you have already received an email to say the book is available, please email email@example.com if you no longer need it.
How to Request a Book
- Log in to your Library account.
- Check the number of loans already listed on your library account. If you have maximised your loan limit you will need to return some items. There is a returns box located outside the Main Library entrance for James Hardiman Library materials and Shannon College Library books can be left in the Rec Room.
- Browse the online catalogue and place a request on the book(s) you require.
- In some instances, the book you require may be on loan. In these instances, the borrower will be contacted and requested to return the item. You will be informed when the book is available.
You will not be able to request material that is non-loanable on the catalogue, e.g. theses, journals etc.. To request this material, please note the details of the item you need and email those details to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive a reply when the material is available for you and an allocated timeslot when you can use that material within the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room. You will not be able to take non-loanable material away from the library.
- To facilitate patrons’ ability to borrow items, we are increasing the number of holds you can place on books. This number correlates to your borrowing rights.
- Once the requested book has been retrieved, you will receive an email indicating it is ready for collection. At this point the book will be issued on your account. Please don't come to the Library until you receive an email confirming that the book is available to you.
- Books will be held for four working days. Uncollected books will be returned to their locations within the Library after this period, so that they are available for other users.
- Normal borrowing limits will apply. Books must be returned once loan limits and loan periods have been reached. If these limits are not adhered to users’ borrowing permissions may be suspended.