The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of our collections through the Library Catalogue, or learn more about different types of information resources below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Find out about what Library services you can avail of, take our 360 Library tour and navigate your way around the Library. Each section includes a description of services available and allows you to become familiar with the Library before you visit us.
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
- Open Scholarship
The Library supports the practice of research, education and knowledge exchange to enable open collaboration and learning.
Archives & Special Collections Reading Room
The reading room is open Monday, Tuesday and Friday between, 10.00-12.30 and 13.30-16.00
You must book in advance to consult material in the Archives & Special Collections Reading Room, please see below for information on the process for consulting material.
This service enables registered staff and students of NUI Galway to place requests to access Special Collections items and Archival material in the Reading Room.
What material is available for consultation?
- Special Collection printed materials such as books/journals/maps/newspapers.
- Print Archival collections.
Who can avail of this service?
All registered students and staff of NUI Galway.
When can I consult material?
Items will be retrieved and ready for consultation between 10.00-12.30 and 13.30-16.00 on Monday, Tuesday and Friday
How long can I stay?
You can stay in the Archives & Special Collections Reading Room for up to 2.5 hours.
How will I know my items are available?
Staff will confirm by email.
How do I access?
Access is via the Hardiman Building foyer. Please call 091-493476 and a staff member will collect you.
What should I do in advance?
- You must request the books you need 24 hours in advance using the Library Catalogue at http://library.nuigalway.ie. Please login using your NUI, Galway login details first so that the request facility will be available to you when you locate your chosen material on the catalogue. The login tab is on the top right of the page.
- To consult archival collections, please first check our Archives Catalogue at http://archivesearch.library.nuigalway.ie to identify collections.
- If you require guidance on collection elements, please email archivists, who will advise by email on return. Contact details are on the Archives Libguide.
- Material can be requested by emailing email@example.com at least 24 hours in advance, and noting the identification details of the collection as well as specific item numbers for the material you would like to view. No extra retrieval will be possible on arrival.
Do I need ID to access Reading Room?
Yes, you must bring your NUI Galway student or staff ID CARD with you.
No walk-in access will be permitted.
Using the room?
On arrival, your items will already be placed on one of 6 reader spaces. In compliance with COVID 19 regulations, you will be asked to thoroughly wash your hands. You will need to bring your own headphones as none will be provided. Only one booking a day for using digital archives within room. Access to photocopier will be restricted. Requests for further retrieval during visit will not be permitted.
Will lockers be available?
Yes, but please indicate locker number to staff members.
The Archives & Special Collections Reading Room is located on the Ground Floor of the Hardiman Building. It is set aside for the consultation of materials from our Special Collections, including rare and antiquarian books, maps and older newspapers as well as items from any of the Archives.
Facilities in the Archives & Special Collections Reading Room include study spaces for consulting material, using WiFi and photocopying. A sound booth is available to anyone who wishes to consult archival and special collections material that has a sound component. For further information on using the sound booth, please contact the staff of the Archives & Special Collections Reading Room at firstname.lastname@example.org
Lockers are provided for readers to store property while working on Special Collections or Archives material.