The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of the library's collections through the Library Catalogue, or get more information on each type of information resource and how it might be useful to your studies below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Learn more about the Library as a physical place, find top tips and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ), find out about the study spaces and services available in the Main, Medical and Nursing & Midwifery Libraries, and if you are not a student or staff member of NUI Galway, you can find out here how to access the Library.
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources. We have staff with expertise on information resources in your subject area.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
3D Printing Service
3D Printing Service
The library provides a 3D printing service to staff and students. The service is performed by library staff who process 3D print files submitted by users.
PLEASE READ: Globally, we are becoming more conscious of our plastic waste which is having devastating effects of our oceans and wildlife. We at the Makerspace would appreciate if you would take the time to ask yourself - "Is this 3D model going to help me with my education or project?" If not, please help us help the Planet. (Plastic Pledge)
Who can use this service?
The service is available to registered students and staff of NUI Galway
How do I use this service?
The 3D printers we use can fabricate 3D models from any 3D design software that is capable of exporting the file as a .stl. The model will be printed in PLA (polyactic acid or polyactide) which is a biodegradable thermoplastic derived from renewable resources such as sugarcane.
To use the service you need to create a request in the service desk request system available on the link below. The first step is for you to save your drawing file in .stl format to your OneDrive and copy a link to the file which you will submit with your request.
Please note the following:
- Only files in .stl format can be printed so you must Save As or Export in STL format. If given the option of binary or ascii – choose binary.
- The file will be printed “As Is” without modification except where supports are needed during the printing process. If supports are needed during printing then they will still be in place when you collect your printed model.
- The maximum volume for the object is 200mm x 200mm x 200mm.
- The item will be printed in PLA material.
- The colour of the item will be whatever coloured filament is in the printer at the time.
- In order to maximise usage of the printer, multiple items from different users may be printed at the same time. This may result in items may not being printed in the order in which they were received.
- If a printed item is not collected within 7 days it becomes the property of the Library.
- As this is currently a free service the library reserves the right to deny a print request if it would result in a disproportionately high use of the limited materials available. If your request is too big we may not be able to process it for free.
The service cannot be used to print items that fall into any of these categories:
- Prohibited by law including but not limited to weapons and models of weapons.
- Unsafe, harmful, dangerous or poses an immediate threat to the well-being of others
- Obscene or otherwise inappropriate items.
- In violation of another's intellectual property rights. E.g copyright, patent or trademark protection.
To submit your 3D print job follow these steps:
- Save you file to your OneDrive as an stl file in binary.
- Copy the link to your file.
- Log on to https://servicedesk.nuigalway.ie with your campus account
- Choose Request Type: 08. Printing and then 3D Print Request
- Paste the link to your .stl file into the Request Detail file. Notes can also be added to that field but remember we won’t make any changes to your item prior to printing other than to add supports if necessary.
How do I get help?
- If you have any questions regarding this service please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
When can I use the service
- Print requests can be submitted at any time via the service desk request system https://servicedesk.nuigalway.ie
What does the service cost?
- The service is currently free to students and staff of the University.
Service initiated 22/09/15