The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of the library's collections through the Library Catalogue, or get more information on each type of information resource and how it might be useful to your studies below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Learn more about the Library as a physical place, find top tips and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ), find out about the study spaces and services available in the Main, Medical and Nursing & Midwifery Libraries, and if you are not a student or staff member of NUI Galway, you can find out here how to access the Library.
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources. We have staff with expertise on information resources in your subject area.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
SCONUL Access is a reciprocal access scheme granting borrowing privileges to library users of higher education libraries in Ireland and the UK. Each member library chooses which types of user to accept under the scheme.
Band A: staff (both academic and support staff) and research students
Band B: part time undergraduates and postgraduates, distance learning and placement
Band C: full time taught postgraduates
Band R*: reference access to full-time undergraduates and some other users not covered by the banding agreement
* Note that full time undergraduates do not have borrowing privileges.
NUI Galway offers borrowing to all three bands, but some other libraries in Ireland offer only one or two bands. Go to the SCONUL Access website for details of more than 150 participating libraries and check which types of user are accepted by individual member libraries. You should note the opening hours of libraries and any other local conditions.
The following Irish universities are members of the scheme:
- Dublin City University [Band A]
- National University of Ireland, Maynooth [Bands A B C]
- Queen’s University, Belfast [Band A]
- Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland [Band A]
- University College Cork [Bands A C]
- University College Dublin [Band A]
- University of Limerick [Bands A C]
- University of Ulster [Bands A B C]
How to Apply
To request access to another library in the scheme:
- Visit SCONUL Access and complete the online application process
- You must use your NUIGalway.ie email address on the application
- Your application will be forwarded for approval from the James Hardiman Library, NUI Galway
- Once approved you will receive a confirmation email
- You must retain this email as you will be asked to produce this email at the library you are visiting
Please note: The scheme does not provide automatic rights to access computer facilities, including access to electronic journals and databases.
For more information on the scheme, go to the SCONUL Accesswebsite.
SCONUL Borrowing Rights
|6 books for 4 weeks|
Part time Undergraduates
Part time Postgraduates
Distance learning students
|2 books for 2 weeks|
|Band C||Full time Taught Postgraduates||4 books for 2 weeks|
|Band R*||Full time Undergraduates||No Borrowing|