The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of the library's collections through the Library Catalogue, or get more information on each type of information resource and how it might be useful to your studies below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Learn more about the Library as a physical place, find top tips and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ), find out about the study spaces and services available in the Main, Medical and Nursing & Midwifery Libraries, and if you are not a student or staff member of NUI Galway, you can find out here how to access the Library.
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources. We have staff with expertise on information resources in your subject area.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
NUI Galway - GMIT Reciprocal Library Access Scheme
NUI Galway Staff and Research Post Graduates
NUI Galway Staff and Post Graduate students will be granted external user access to the GMIT library which entitles them to –
- Access the library at GMIT
- Borrow up to 6 items for 4 weeks
- Access online library resources remotely
Regular Library rules, such as overdue fines and payment for lost items, will apply.
To request access to the GMIT library,
- NUI Galway staff and post graduate students should send an email to email@example.com including:
- ID number
- Subject area you are interested in accessing at the GMIT library.
- Your request will then be processed within 48 hours and further instructions provided.
GMIT Staff and Research Post Graduates
GMIT staff and post graduate students will be granted external user access to the NUI Galway, James Hardiman Library which entitles them to –
- Access the James Hardiman Library at NUI Galway
- Borrow up to 6 items for 4 weeks which is equivalent to SCONUL Band A
- Access online library resources on a limited number of PCs located in the library
Regular Library rules will apply such as overdue fines and payment for lost items.
To request access to the NUI Galway library
- Send their request through the Library at GMIT
- Give at least 2 days advance notice should be given.
- The library at GMIT will then forward the user’s details to NUI Galway.
- Once approved the requester can then go to NUI Galway library with their current GMIT ID card.
- An NUI Galway library access card will be issued to be used for access to the library and for borrowing.
Note: This is a pilot scheme that will be reviewed every 6 months.