The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of the library's collections through the Library Catalogue, or get more information on each type of information resource and how it might be useful to your studies below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Learn more about the Library as a physical place, find top tips and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ), find out about the study spaces and services available in the Main, Medical and Nursing & Midwifery Libraries, and if you are not a student or staff member of NUI Galway, you can find out here how to access the Library.
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources. We have staff with expertise on information resources in your subject area.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
Guidelines for Readers
Special Collections Reading Room Guidelines
In order to allow your visit to the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room to be as effective as possible we ask you to familiarise yourself with the following directives in advance.
Consulting Special Collections material
- Check our opening hours
- Request material in advance to allow for its delivery to the Reading Room before your arrival
- Please place coats and bags in the lockers which are available outside the Reading Room
- Sign Register on the entering the Reading Room
- List details of items being consulted
- Switch off mobile phones
- Use only pencils, which are available in the Reading Room or laptops for note-taking
- Do not lean or rest your notebook on the material you consult
- Turn pages, particularly fold-out pages, maps and large volumes very carefully
- Refrain from forcing a book to lie flat or face downwards
- Use book supports where necessary – these are available from staff
- Bookmark pages with slips of acid-free paper which are available from staff
- Ask staff to separate uncut pages when you find same in books or journals you consult
- Clean hands before using books to prevent marks and stains on pages/bindings
- Photocopying or photographing of material is always at the discretion of staff
- Digital images of some materials can be organized with the prior agreement of staff
- Do not bring food or drink into the Reading Room
- A restaurant and some coffee outlets are located close by
- The Reading Room is wheelchair accessible
- Metered parking is available adjacent to the library building for external readers
- All material is consulted on the understanding that the terms of the Copyright and Related Rights Act are being complied with.
If you have any queries please contact us at email@example.com