The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of the library's collections through the Library Catalogue, or get more information on each type of information resource and how it might be useful to your studies below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Learn more about the Library as a physical place, find top tips and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ), find out about the study spaces and services available in the Main, Medical and Nursing & Midwifery Libraries, and if you are not a student or staff member of NUI Galway, you can find out here how to access the Library.
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources. We have staff with expertise on information resources in your subject area.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
The Library provides a variety of study spaces for staff, students and researchers of the University. These range from individual study spaces for quiet study, group study rooms where students can work together on projects, to our browsing room aimed at providing a place to take a break from serious study by reading a newspaper or a novel.
QA814 Study Break Policy
In response to feedback received from users about the 30 Minute Rule, and in an effort to reduce the instances of desk hogging, the Library is introducing a new ‘Study Break Policy’ for the monitoring and managing of study space during peak times in the Library. The policy will apply during the following periods:
Semester 1 2018/19: TBC
Semester 2 2018/19: TBC
- Breaks can be anywhere from 5 – 60 minutes.
- The Study Break Policy applies throughout the entire day, Monday to Friday.
- There is a new “I’m Taking a Study Break” timesheet which all users must use, during the weeks when the policy is in operation, to record the time they leave for a break. (One sheet can be used 40 times thereby eliminating the need to pick up a new sheet each day).
- Timesheets will be available at the entrance to the Library and at both front and rear entrances/exits on all three floors. Library staff will be patrolling all study areas to check unattended desks for the “I’m Taking a Study Break” timesheet. If there is no timesheet, or if the time recorded has expired, belongings may be removed.
- If you see an unattended desk with no “I’m Taking a Study Break” timesheet, or the time recorded on it has expired, please feel free to move belongings to one side and use the space. If you feel uncomfortable doing this, please ask a member of Library staff for assistance.
- This policy does not apply to the Short Stay Zones.