The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of the library's collections through the Library Catalogue, or get more information on each type of information resource and how it might be useful to your studies below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Learn more about the Library as a physical place, find top tips and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ), find out about the study spaces and services available in the Main, Medical and Nursing & Midwifery Libraries, and if you are not a student or staff member of NUI Galway, you can find out here how to access the Library.
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources. We have staff with expertise on information resources in your subject area.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
Policy on children
Policy on children accompanying NUIG registered library users
The Library recognises that NUIG registered students and staff with children may need to bring their children to the library on rare occasions. Users accompanied by children will be permitted into the Library for a short period only in order to:
- return material
- pay fines
- collect an item on hold
- retrieve a book from the shelves
- avail of printing/photocopying services
- seek assistance at the Library & IT Service Desk on the ground floor.
For the safety and security of children, and in consideration of others using the library, the following policy has been established:
• At the Access Control Gates users should contact the Library Steward on duty confirming the need to enter the Library for a short period accompanied by their child/children. The parent or guardian will be advised to swipe into the Library in the usual way, and the Library Steward will open the lane nearest their desk, for the child/children to enter. This is to ensure your child’s safety.
• Once in the Library users must take full responsibility for their child or children’s safety, behaviour, and the information they access when on the James Hardiman Library premises, and the children must be under direct and constant supervision at all times.
• Children may not use Library PCs. This equipment is not filtered for minors.
• Users must be aware that the Library is for study and learning purposes and should leave the Library if a child’s behaviour causes a disturbance to others.
• If an unescorted child comes to the attention of Library staff, they will evaluate the situation and try to contact a parent. If the adult responsible for the child’s welfare is not contactable, a staff member will contact University Security to report the situation and seek assistance.
• Any damage caused by a child while in the Library is the responsibility of the accompanying parent or guardian.