The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of the library's collections through the Library Catalogue, or get more information on each type of information resource and how it might be useful to your studies below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Learn more about the Library as a physical place, find top tips and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ), find out about the study spaces and services available in the Main, Medical and Nursing & Midwifery Libraries, and if you are not a student or staff member of NUI Galway, you can find out here how to access the Library.
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources. We have staff with expertise on information resources in your subject area.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
My Library Account
My Library Account
Your campus account username and password allows you to log into your Library account, i.e. what you use to log on to the University network.
Your Library account allows you to:
- Place a hold on a book that is on loan to someone else or held in the Closed Access/Basement.
- Search for a book on the library catalogue.
- Click on Print Locations which will tell you where the book is located.
- If the book location is indicated as Closed Access, click on Hold.
- The item will be retrieved from storage by library staff and kept for you in the Holds Room for a limited period of time.
- Check how many books you have on loan and when they are due back
- Renew your books online in order to avoid fines
- Book a Group Study Room
- Search for journal articles
- Search for your topic in the Library catalogue
- choose Including Articles from the drop down menu beside the search box, so that the search will find articles as well as books.
- Remember your results will be very limited if you have not signed in to your Library account.
- Search Library databases and access e-journals from off-campus:
- Sign in to your account at the Library homepage
- access the databases or journals by searching the .
- This tells the database or e-journal providers that you are an authorised NUI Galway user, even though you are off-campus.
- Request an .
Remember you must be signed into your account for any of the services above to work!