The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of the library's collections through the Library Catalogue, or get more information on each type of information resource and how it might be useful to your studies below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Learn more about the Library as a physical place, find top tips and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ), find out about the study spaces and services available in the Main, Medical and Nursing & Midwifery Libraries, and if you are not a student or staff member of NUI Galway, you can find out here how to access the Library.
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources. We have staff with expertise on information resources in your subject area.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
Some of the most frequently used databases for Medicine, Nursing, Midwifery and Health Sciences are highlighted here. Online tutorials on how to get the most from these databases are also available.
- Cinahl covers nursing and allied health subjects.
- Cochrane is a collection of evidence-based medicine databases.
- Embase covers pharmacology, medicine and health related subjects.
- Medline covers, medicine, nursing, pharmacy and health care.
- Pubmed covers medicine, nursing, pharmacy and health care as well as life science and biomedical sciences.
- What's the difference between PubMed, Medline & Embase? An excellent comparison of the three resources from the Library and Information Service, King Edward Memorial Hospital, Western Australia.
- Scopus is multidisciplinary with a strong focus on health related subjects.
- UpToDate fulltext coverage of evidence-based information designed to assist with diagnosis and treatment.
- PsycINFO a resource for behavioural and social science research from the American Psychological Association.
To see a full list of databases in Medicine, Nursing & Midwifery and Health Sciences just click on this link.
Academic Skills Librarian
Tel: +353 91495228
Research Support Librarian
Tel: +353 91495959
Academic Skills / Marketing and Engagement Assistant
Tel: +353 91495250/5229