The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of our collections through the Library Catalogue, or learn more about different types of information resources below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Find out about what Library services you can avail of, take our 360 degree Library tour and navigate your way around the Library. Each section includes a description of services available and allows you to become familiar with the Library before you visit us.
- We Can Help
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
- Open Scholarship
The Library supports the practice of research, education and knowledge exchange to enable open collaboration and learning.
Borrow a Library Laptop
The Library has 24 laptops available for students to borrow. For the moment laptops are loaned from the Library & IT Service Desk in the foyer of the main library.
Laptops can be borrowed for two different periods depending on which laptop you select:
- Up to 24 hours
- Up to 7 days
There is no charge to borrow a laptop; you just need your NUI Galway Student ID card. The laptop will be assigned to your Library account, just like borrowing a book!
Fines will apply for late returned, lost, stolen or damaged laptops. Please wipe down laptops before and after use with sanitizing wipes.
Instructions for Use
- Connect to NUI Galway WiFi by selecting the globe icon at the login screen. Select the relevant WIFI network, you will be prompted for your credentials, your student number and password.
- Login to laptop using student ID number @nuigalway.ie (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Alternatively if you do not have access to WiFi click the Guest option
- Remember to save your work remotely or use a USB stick as any files or folders cannot be retrieved after the laptop loan period expires
You are responsible for all equipment and accessories until returned and acknowledged by the LIT Service Desk during Service Desk opening hours.
Terms & Conditions
- Laptops can be loaned for 24 hours or 7 days
- The laptops can be taken from the Library but must be returned within the allocated borrowing time
- If you do not return the laptops on time you will be charged an Hourly fee of €1 per hours or part thereof for late return of laptop. You may also be blocked from all borowing.
- The laptop will remain on your library account until the laptop is returned
- The following charges apply and will accrue on an individual borrower’s library account until cleared and the item is returned or replaced
- The laptop will remain on your library account until the laptop is returned.
- If you do not return the laptop you will be charged a replacement fee of €700
- If you damage the laptop you may be charged for the cost of repairs or replacement of the laptop (max €700)
- Damage to, or loss of either the power supply and/or laptop bag will incur a cost of €20
The Laptop Loan Service
- Laptops can be borrowed for up to 24 hours or 7 days from the LIT Desk using your NUI Galway Student ID Card
- Laptops are available from when the Library opens and must be returned to the LIT Desk by the applied loan period (24 hours or seven days)
- Please wipe down laptops before and after use with sanitizing wipes
- You are responsible for the laptop during the loan period. Do not loan it to anyone else or leave it unattended at any time
- Please do not swop laptops with other students