The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of our collections through the Library Catalogue, or learn more about different types of information resources below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Find out about what Library services you can avail of, take our 360 Library tour and navigate your way around the Library. Each section includes a description of services available and allows you to become familiar with the Library before you visit us.
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
- Open Scholarship
The Library supports the practice of research, education and knowledge exchange to enable open collaboration and learning.
Irish Regional and Provincial Newspapers
- The Library holds the current year's printed copies of almost all Connacht newspapers. Back runs of some of these titles are available on microfilm. Please check the Library catalogue by title
- The archives of some Irish regional newspapers are available on the Irish Newspaper Archive database, accessible via the Library catalogue. You can also view a tutorial on how to use the Irish Newspaper Archive
- Most provincial newspapers have websites containing partial or complete copy of their current editions
- A list of newspapers published in Ireland is available from the Press Council of Ireland
Irish National Newspapers
- Copies of most Irish daily newspapers are held for one week in the Newspaper Browsing area
- The Irish Times can be accessed via the library catalogue
- The Irish Times Archive is available for searching on the Library catalogue and also on microfilm at 072.915, which needs to be requested.
- The Irish Independent and the Freeman's Journal can be searched on the Irish Newspaper Archive via the Library catalogue
- The complete run of the Irish Press newspaper (1931-1995) is available on microfilm and on the Irish Newspaper Archive via the library catalogue
- Some Irish titles are also available on our online databases Nexis Newspapers & Business and UK and Eire Reference Centre, both available via the Library catalogue
- The Times (London) Digital Archive and The Guardian/Observer Archive are available via the Library catalogue
- British Library Newspapers, Part 1: 1800-1900 are available via the Library catalogue
- International newspapers can be accessed at NexisNewspapers & Business via the Library catalogue
- The New York Times Historical Newspaper Collection (1851-2014) is available via Proquest
- Links to other international newspapers are also available at Online Newspapers
Newspapers in Microform
- The Library has a significant newspaper collection in microform, some located in the microform area on the ground floor, and some which are held in store and need to be requested.
- Among the collections are Irish political and radical newspapers in the twentieth century and Irish politics and society through the press
- Details of titles within these collections can be viewed by searching under the collection name on the Library catalogue