The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of the library's collections through the Library Catalogue, or get more information on each type of information resource and how it might be useful to your studies below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Learn more about the Library as a physical place, find top tips and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ), find out about the study spaces and services available in the Main, Medical and Nursing & Midwifery Libraries, and if you are not a student or staff member of NUI Galway, you can find out here how to access the Library.
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources. We have staff with expertise on information resources in your subject area.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
Special Collections and Archives look after a collection of historical maps, including facsimiles. The most significant holdings are outlined below.
Historical maps of Ireland- reprints and facsimiles
(All held in Special Collections Room)
- William Petty Hiberniae delineation: atlas of Ireland 1685 (Shannon: Irish University Press reprint, 1969) Shelved at 912.415 PET [individual sheets]
- Phoenix Map Series Historical maps principally of Irish cities and towns from the 19th century
- Taylor and Skinner Maps of the roads of Ireland. (London, 1777, Irish University Press reprint, 1969) 912.415 TAY
- Memorial Atlas of Ireland, showing civil parishes and baronies (1902)
(All held in Special Collections Reading Room)
- G.A. Hayes McCoy Ulster and other Irish maps, c 1600 (Dublin: Irish Manuscripts Commission, 1964) 912 (415)
- Anngret Simms Irish historic towns atlas (Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1996-) 911.415 See the library catalogue for a list of towns included.
- Samuel Lewis A topographical dictionary of Ireland:. Vol 3: Atlas (Galway: Kennys 1995 reprint) 914.15 LEW
- Michael Swift. Historical Maps of Ireland. (London: Parkgate books, 1999) 912.415 SWI
Historical maps of Connacht
- John Browne’s map of Connaught 1591 –Special Collections Reading Room
- Speeds Map of Connaught 1610 – Archives
- Jannis Aries’ Military map of Connaught, 1640’s – Archives
- Moll’s Map of Connaught 1728 - Archives
Historical maps of Galway
- 1651 Map of Galway presented to the Duke of Orleans – Archives [framed reprint copy on wall of Special Collections Reading Room]
- Microfilm copies of manuscript maps of Galway 1610-1717- 941.74 Special Collections Microfilm Room, Hardiman Building
- Maps of Galway city accompanying Griffiths valuation, mid 19th century, Map cabinet D5. [Note that the entire valuation, for all of Ireland, including maps, is available at AskAboutIreland]
Landed estate maps
The Encumbered/Landed Estates Court Sale notices (1850-1885) frequently contain maps of individual estates. The Library holds microfilm copies of a set of these, the originals of which are in the National Archives of Ireland at 333.309415 IRE in the Special Collections Microfilm Room, Hardiman Building. Unfortunately, there is no index to the entire set as yet, but the notices covering counties Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Roscommon and Sligo have been indexed on the Irish Landed Estates Database.
The Library also holds a set of these notices, in hardcopy, for county Clare. An index to this set is available with the Clare material in the Local Studies section of the Special Collections Reading Room.
Several of the landed estate collections held in our Archives contain estate maps Please see the Guide to Archival Holdings.
- For more information and to view these maps please contact Kieran Hoare, the Archivist.
A detailed guide to using our Map Collections is available in print, or download our Maps Resource Guide.
Special Collections Librarian
Tel: +353 91492543
Research and Learning / Acquisitions Assistant
Tel: +353 91 493476
Research and Learning Assistant
Tel: +353 91493476