The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of the library's collections through the Library Catalogue, or get more information on each type of information resource and how it might be useful to your studies below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Learn more about the Library as a physical place, find top tips and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ), find out about the study spaces and services available in the Main, Medical and Nursing & Midwifery Libraries, and if you are not a student or staff member of NUI Galway, you can find out here how to access the Library.
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources. We have staff with expertise on information resources in your subject area.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
Google Scholar uses the Google search engine to search databases owned by scholarly societies, publishers and universities as well as scholarly articles available across the web. Google Scholar can give some very useful results for a review of past research, but is not explicit about which bibliographic databases and journals it searches, so for a comprehensive review you should also search the important databases for your subject.
Some Google Scholar search results include links to full-text when full-text is freely available on the web; some results offer only citations. In order to facilitate access to full-text via our subscriptions the Library has sent Google information about our holdings, our linking utility (SFX), and the IP ranges (internet address) for our campus networks. If the Library has a subscription to the full-text you will see a link to Fulltext@ NUI Galway
Set NUI Galway as your library preference
If you are using a computer connected to the University network, Google Scholar recognizes your IP address, and sets NUI Galway as your default library preference.
If you are off-campus, you must set NUI Galway as your library preference:
- On the Google Scholar search page, click on the Settings link to open the Scholar Settings webpage.
- On the Scholar Settings webpage, click Library Links to search for your preferred Library.
- Enter NUI Galway in the Library links search box and hit search
- In the results page check the box next to NUI Galway.
- Save these Library links.
If you allow cookies on your computer, this setting will stay in place across search sessions.
- You can set up additional library preferences, if you have access to other libraries.
- You can set Scholar Settings to download citations to your preferred bibliographic management software, such as EndNote.
Remember if you are off-campus you must log in to access information from library subscribed databases.
What to do if there is no FullText@NUI Galway link
- Check the Library Catalogue – not all resources are linked through the SFX system.
- Click on the title of the citation in Google Scholar – this may lead to an open access or freely available version of the article.
- Use the Inter-library Loan Service to request the article or book.
Can I research all the relevant information on a topic via Google Scholar?
No – you need to search subject specific and interdisciplinary academic databases for in-depth, comprehensive academic research.
Google Scholar is useful for broad background searches of scholarly literature and for searching across many disciplines. It is also useful for searching for the work of particular authors and for tracking cited references.
You will need to search individual Library scholarly databases:
- to do comprehensive searches across many years of scholarly literature.
- for in-depth literature searches in a narrow topic.
- if you would like to do structured searching using subject headings and thesaurus terms.
- for concise, authoritative encyclopedia, dictionary, handbook and physical properties definitions
- for detailed business information.