The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of our collections through the Library Catalogue, or learn more about different types of information resources below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Find out about online and remote access to the Library, as well as on-campus study spaces and services. If you are not a student or staff member of NUI Galway, you can find out how to access the Library here.
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
- Open Scholarship
The Library supports the practice of research, education and knowledge exchange to enable open collaboration and learning.
Click & Collect
This service enables registered staff and students of NUI Galway place online requests for print books located in the James Hardiman Library.
What material is available for selection?
Only loanable books located in the James Hardiman Library are available for selection. This excludes Theses, Journals and materials located in the Medical Library and Shannon College Library.
Who can avail of this service?
All registered students and staff of NUI Galway and external members with borrowing rights
When can I pick up books?
Books will be available for collection on Mondays and Fridays between 11:30-13:30, the collection point is to the left of the main entrance to the Hardiman Research Building
Do I need my ID to collect my requests?
Yes, you must bring your NUI Galway student or staff ID card with you
Can someone else pick up my requests?
Yes, you can nominate someone else to collect your books. To facilitate this, you must email firstname.lastname@example.org in advance with the name of your nominee. Nominees must present their own ID at the time of collection
Can I request Journals?
No, only print books may be requested as part of this service
How to Request a Book
- Log in to your Library account.
- Check the number of loans already listed on your library account. If you have maximised your loan limit you will need to return some items to the returns box located outside the main Library entrance.
- Browse the online catalogue and place a request on the book(s) you require.
- In some instances, the book you require may be on loan. In these instances, the borrower will be contacted and requested to return the item. You will be informed when the book is available.
- To facilitate patrons’ ability to borrow items, we are increasing the number of holds you can place on books. This number correlates to your borrowing rights.
- Once the book requested has been retrieved, you will receive an email indicating it is ready for collection. At this point the book will be issued on your account.
- Books will be held for two weeks. Uncollected books will be returned to their locations within the Library after this period.
- Normal borrowing limits will apply. Books must be returned once loan limits and loan periods have been reached. If these limits are not adhered to users’ borrowing permissions may be suspended.