The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of our collections through the Library Catalogue, or learn more about different types of information resources below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Find out about online and remote access to the Library, as well as on-campus study spaces and services. If you are not a student or staff member of NUI Galway, you can find out how to access the Library here.
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
- Open Scholarship
The Library supports the practice of research, education and knowledge exchange to enable open collaboration and learning.
Click & Collect
This service enables registered staff and students of NUI Galway to place online requests for print books located in the James Hardiman Library and Shannon College Library.
What material is available for selection?
Only loanable books are available for selection. This excludes Theses, Journals and materials located in the Medical Library.
Who can avail of this service?
All registered students and staff of NUI Galway and external members with borrowing rights.
When can I pick up books?
James Hardiman Library books will be available for collection on Mondays and on Fridays only between 11:30-13:30, the collection point is to the left of the main entrance to the Hardiman Research Building.
Shannon College Library books will be available for collection on Wednesdays from 12:30-13:30 at the entrance to the main College Building.
Where do I pick up my reserved books?
James Hardiman Library books will be available for collection at the collection point to the left of the main entrance to the Hardiman Research Building on Mondays and on Fridays between 11:30-13:30.
Shannon College Library books will be available for collection at the entrance to the main College Building on Wednesdays from 12:30-13:30 only.
Do I need my ID to collect my requests?
Yes, you must bring your NUI Galway student or staff ID card with you.
Can someone else pick up my requests?
Yes, you can nominate someone else to collect your books. To facilitate this, you must email firstname.lastname@example.org in advance with the name of your nominee. Nominees must present their own ID at the time of collection.
Can I request Journals?
No, only print books may be requested as part of this service.
How to Request a Book
- Log in to your Library account.
- Check the number of loans already listed on your library account. If you have maximised your loan limit you will need to return some items. There is a returns box located outside the Main Library entrance for James Hardiman Library materials and Shannon College Library books can be left in the Rec Room.
- Browse the online catalogue and place a request on the book(s) you require.
- In some instances, the book you require may be on loan. In these instances, the borrower will be contacted and requested to return the item. You will be informed when the book is available.
- To facilitate patrons’ ability to borrow items, we are increasing the number of holds you can place on books. This number correlates to your borrowing rights.
- Once the requested book has been retrieved, you will receive an email indicating it is ready for collection. At this point the book will be issued on your account.
- Books will be held for two weeks. Uncollected books will be returned to their locations within the Library after this period.
- Normal borrowing limits will apply. Books must be returned once loan limits and loan periods have been reached. If these limits are not adhered to users’ borrowing permissions may be suspended.